This 19 year old Shep being cradled in his father's arms last night in Lake Superior. Shep falls asleep every night when he is carried into the lake. I was so happy I got to capture this moment for John. By the way, John rescued Shep as an 8 month old puppy, and he's been by his side through many adventures :).

John & Shep On Lake Superior

This 19 year old Shep being cradled in his father’s arms earlier this week in Lake Superior. Shep falls asleep every night when he is carried into the lake. I was so happy I got to capture this moment for John. By the way, John rescued Shep as an 8 month old puppy, and he’s been by his side through many adventures :).

This Facebook post has gone viral, and I am so excited to welcome new fans from all over!  I am in the midst of crazy season, and had no clue this would take off like it has.  Love to everyone!!  If you are interested in prints, please go here.

Contact ME! | Subscribe to Stonehouse Photography by Email

1. thomas bratkovich says:

This iconic image will be relevant 500 years from now. It will touch those that view it. It will evoke all that future generations strive for; all that is good about humanity. Those who find it centuries from now, millenia from now; will know that there WERE people who walked this earth centuries earlier that were champions of kindness, compassion, love. That is what makes this photograph TIMELESS.

The international community thanks you, Ms. Hudson, for being there to capture this moment and record it forever. Peace from the Willamette Valley, Oregon.

2. Lindo espiritualmente. Amor em abundância. O mundo precisa de pessoas assim. :)

3. Kerry says:

I, like probably everyone else, was touched and brought to tears by the intimacy of this caring portrait. I have a group of oldsters myself, 10, 11 and 12 and recently lost a 13 yr old. He, Cleavis, and the 11 yr old, Lil, have been with me almost their whole lives, longer than almost anyone else in my life. So also, like probably everyone else, I come back to this photo of Schoep, and wonder how they are now. I hope that you or John will post to FB about him, since they have both touched so many hearts. Thank you for saying with this image what cannot be conveyed with words.

4. Maitland Montgomery says:

This photo is wonderful. How can I get a copy?

5. RC Mann says:

I was linked to them on Facebook, saw that they were on The Doctors today, but now the link is gone. Wonderful story though. We have a 15 y/o mutt and cannot imagine life without her, but are getting ready for the inevitable. Wishing Jon & Shep more time together, pain free.

6. kay baldwin says:

How wonderful to see this, no better trust, no greater love. Would be so great if people could love and trust each other like this.

7. Keiko Chikamatsu says:

I was touched, eased and encouraged a lot by this photo with tears. As we welcomed 2-month puppy at our home, we’be been struggling in every ways. I would like to build this trustful relationship with Alex, our dog.

8. K.K Supa says:

Wasn’t there a deeper story into this picture, like the dog was ill?

9. Hannah says:

He has arthritis – other than that he is very healthy :)

10. Martha J Sayers says:

God Bless them both – a beautiful and devoted relationship! (made me cry – I could not help but think of my boy Bear).
    I hope they are both still doing well and wish them well.

11. Carol says:

If every pet owner were like John this world would be a much happier planet for animals. I have several cats and dogs myself, most rescued, thank goodness I live in the country so they lots of space to run and play. But I love them all every day. A dedicated pet owner like this man is a credit to humanity and bless the photographer to captured such a humane and loving moment. This photo is beautiful, in many ways.

12. Meredith says:

Hi John
    saw your touching story on the Drs show today December 24th 2012
    Wanted to say i am a major animal lover and my heart and sole goes out to u and ur beautuful dog , i am so gald u
    are doing all u can for him, i would do all i could to for my pets, i have a father who is a vet , so u can imagine what i have been through and seen, i just recently lost my loving step fathher to cancer last february , i would do anything to have back in my life just one more time , he and i were close….. well anyway Hope you have Merry christmas and all the best in 2013

13. Damian G. Finch says:

Hi. I would like to obtain a copy of this beautiful photograph. Is the image for sale for personal use?

Thanks.

14. Richard says:

So wonderful is this story and photograph that I have featured it on my website: A Lonely World.com. It deserves all the attention possible to expose the kindness, compassion and love that truly exists in our world. Thanks for allowing me to spread the message through your powerful amd amazing photo. What a gift to the world!!!

15. Hannah says:

Share away! We need to spread this message of love :)

16. Hannah says:

Hi Damian – prints are for sale at http://johnandschoep.com.

17. al malpa says:

Hello, I’m a newspaper photographer and a dog nut. Are you selling prints of John & Shep On Lake Superior? Thanks, Al

18. Hannah says:

Hi Al!

Prints are for sale :) http://johnandschoep.com. PS Yay fellow dog nuts :):)

19. Flight-1990 says:

Love you Shep!

20. Jeremy Rule says:

Just say this story on the Drs show,shed a tear because I feel for both, as I remember the good time with best mate TARA cross assie cattle dog,cheers and top story

21. Barbara says:

Dear John, I saw you beautiful story yesterday in Australia on the Dr’s, I am a animal Lover through and through, I have had 9 German Shepherds, I lost one 18 months ago, now have Zack who is 12 months Old, I adore your story and Photo, my dogs like yours bring so much to your life, I cry every time I Look at that beautiful photo keep up the good work you have an amazing bond with Shep. Best Wishes from Australia.

22. nancy duran says:

hola queridos amigos!! Iam write from spain, valencia, I like photo john & shep. LOVE,LOVE LOVE FOREVER!!

23. Nancy Tricola says:

Well I just read the saddest news that Schoep has passed over. This picture hit as I was bawling daily over my 15 yr old 4 legged son over the possiblity I would have to make THAT descision very soon. The picture spoke of love caring compassion and trust. On both sides. It reminded me that Bruno trusted me to take care of him. That my love would have to get us both through the hardest choice ever made by a pet owner. That my love could be selfish if I let it. What will be best for Bruno would just shatter my heart but that he trusted me to do the best and right thing for him and no matter the cost to me I couldn’t let him down.
    John…remember the love showing in this picture as the days unfold. Schoep had a life that was filled with love and joy. Remember the good times. Schoep will always be in your heart and thoughts as it should be. Don’t mourn the life lost…rejoice in the love shared.

24. bob naegele says:

this beautiful photo will become THE iconic image for dog lovers.

Saw it when it was first posted, loved it then. Saw it again today when yahoo noted Shep’s passing.

You will not appreciate this image and what it means until you have shared your life with a dog who is truly devoted to you. The day you look in your friend’s eyes and know it is time, well, you feel like your heart is being ripped out.

There a lots of lovely pictures of people with their pets, but…

25. BrothrBob says:

I was in tears when I heard Shep died. As n animal lover, I was really upset to hear this.

26. Kristen Ginchereau says:

Dear John, 7-19-2013. I am so very sorry about your beautiful dog& best friend. !!! TodayI write you on the. 11 mount. without my husband. !!he at 61 had a massive heartache and I found him dead in his favorite chair!! We had worked in Hollywood making movies. One day we were shooting That Thing you at The Ambassador Hotel Where Kennedy was shoot 1995. and the cutest dog had been dumped there,the person who dumped her never came back. My husband & I just fell in LOVE,LOVE, LOVE with her, our vet said she was approx 6 months old! She was a pug/jack russet mix he thought. She was our child since we had no kids. Well she was the best dog ever, she was 140 years old when she died on June 29th 2013 !!! I had her cream acted and when I get the guts I’ll put them Father & Daughtert together!!! Someday I hope& pray that we can both get each new buddies , there are so many that need our love. God bless you and I know Jim my man, Cleo & Shep are all together in heaven with God !!! Take Care of yourself. Lots of Love & Licks from our best friends !!! They are running like crazy & are happy. Love Kristen. XX & OO’s

27. Susan Chamberlain says:

The beauty of this photo/relationship surpasses magnificent. One can feel the trust, the love, the oneness of the two of them together. There is no dog and master or owner and pet….only two souls joined as one in perfect confidence about their feelings for each other.

Thank you for sharing this most precious relationship.

28. Judy says:

You can see the love between the two of them. I cry each time I see this picture.

29. Barbara Serrano says:

Dear Hannah, I can’t thank you enough for snapping that pic of John and Schoep. It caught my eye when I first saw it on MSNBC.com. With the fan base that it created, the lives of dogs worldwide changed forever. Just that photo taugh tthe meaning of unconditional love – we could see it!! John had an immediate and HUGE following as well as an outpouring of funds that he used to extend Schoep’s beautiful life as well as building a foundation to help other needy pets. I have a large, framed copy in my living room and I love telling their story. You made history with this one Hannah and I know that I am just one of many people in this world who thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sharing it.

30. Ellyn says:

Thank you for this photo, John, Hannah and Schoep.

31. Rita Schalla says:

A dogs love is unconditional ~ the beauty of this picture for me is; the ‘human unconditional love’ that is rarely seen towards dogs.
    Thank you for showing me that it does exist ~

32. Ron Johnson says:

Thank you for this photograph. It is said that a photo is not taken, but made and that is true here.

33. Julia says:

Thanks for helping me understand that not all Americans are greedy selfish people, who care only about themselves I have seen through 10 years of my life in USA. By now I have only seen Americans who throw away their pets who -if being lucky and not being put tot sleep in shelter – are later adopted by us, poor Europeans who have the soul. Looks like there are a few Americans with heart , like John.

34. Charbel says:

HI,

It is a touching story.

I want to ask if the dog is alive?

35. Matias says:

This image will live forever, on and on, to show the true meaning of love. Everyting time I see it, my eyes fill with tears of emotions. Such a tender connection. Truly inspiring.

Trackbacks

1. Man brings old dog to lake - one of the best photos ever -   - City-Data Forum
  2. Imagem de cão doente adormecendo nos braços de tutor em lago emociona internautas « Animais em Evidência
  3. Shep e John – Imagem de cão doente adormecendo nos braços de tutor em lago emociona internautas | ANIMALL
  4. John and Shep in Lake Superior |
  5. Great Pals « goodboycharlie
  6. What I Liked This Week… | Welcome to the TESTOSTER-ZONE!
  7. Friday’s About Dogs and Hope and Perspective and Smiles | ccdenham
  8. Synchronised Swimming Nude Accident « Tome of the Ancient
  9. Unger & Schoep | Cute Animals
  10. The special friendship of John Unger and Schoep – smiling pockets
  11. No Giant Checks or Healthy Children, Please!Imprimere Consulting
  12. Clip(s) of the day - Off-Topic - Page 15
  13. Pet Photography by Hannah Stonehouse Hudson - Columbus OH pet photography | StonehousePhoto - Wisconsin, Minnesota, & Michigan's UP | Bayfield Wedding
  14. A Lonely World.Com &raquo “Shep’s Best Friend – John. True Compassion & Love Captured by Telephoto Lens.” | A Lonely World.Com
  15. Photos of Bayfield, WI and the Apostle Islands | StonehousePhoto - Wisconsin, Minnesota, & Michigan's UP | Bayfield Wedding
  16. Girl from the Northwoods
  17. About Town: Bayfield Apple Fest | Girl from the Northwoods
  18. Goodbye, Schoep | NewsCut | Minnesota Public Radio News
  19. 22 Humans Who Went Beyond The Call Of Duty For Animals | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips
  20. [HERMOSO] 22 de fotos de seres humanos que arriesgaron la vida por salvar a estos aninales - @VozCiudadanaCL